Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism
Master of Science in Journalism, Concentration in Multimedia Production
Coursework in news and magazine writing and beat reporting.
- Wrote 6,500-word master’s project about college students suffering from depression in the second least optimistic U.S. city.
Interactive Design Workshop
- Coded, designed and presented a multimedia story package and interactive website.
- Presented user-experience research and design analysis of large-scale news site.
Binghamton University, State University of New York
Bachelor of Arts in English, Concentration in Rhetoric
- Coursework in reporting, news editing, creative writing and mathematics.
- Graduated in three years.
- Edit interviews — ranging between 40 minutes and 2 hours long — into two or three-minute segments using Pro Tools for potential broadcast on NPR’s Morning Edition.
- Research & pitch stories often with a focus on specific date pegs and diversity goals.
- Book and facilitate interviews, and travel with producers on recording trips.
- Produce segments for broadcast.
- Introduced and implemented project manager app Trello within the production department in order to track the stages of a story from pitch to broadcast.
- Factcheck the broadcast segment on a biweekly basis by verifying every fact in the introduction, transcript and web post for the story.
- Manage summer volunteer.
June 2015 — January 2016
- Design mobile-first, longform, investigative stories built with Jekyll and Grunt.
- Pitched and produced ambient audio and assisted in design for Baltimore uprising photo essay.
- Wrangle with a stubborn content management system to style and position graphics and charts.
- Web produce, copyedit, select photos and occasionally illustrate for daily news stories.
- Design and hand-code lead story sections and banners for ProPublica’s homepage.
- Participate in user-experience testing of website and news apps.
Production and Digital News Intern, Politics Desk
- Edited and produced segments for stories broadcast on NPR programs.
- Researched, pitched, wrote and created social media content for the politics blog.
- Covered events, conducted tape syncs, transcribed interviews and contacted sources.
- Received training in coding and development from NPR’s Visuals Team.
- Edited 40-minute interviews into two-minute segments using Pro Tools on deadline weekly for potential broadcast on NPR’s Morning Edition.
- Conducted localilized research and pitched story ideas during weekly production meetings.
- Booked and pre-interviewed participants, and facilitated several New York interviews.
- Multimedia: Audio and video production, Pro Tools, Sketch, Adobe Audition, Photoshop and Premiere.
- Languages: Fluent in Spanish.
*available upon request
- David Sleight, Design Director, ProPublica
- Josh Keller, Graphics Editor, New York Times
- Michael Garofalo, Executive Producer, StoryCorps